Corneal Infections may be the by-product of inflammation of the cornea, otherwise known as keratitis. In general, the deeper the corneal infection and the closer the involved area of cornea is to the center of vision, the worse the symptoms and complications will be. If left untreated, corneal infections can lead to scarring which may damage the cornea enough to require a corneal transplant.
Symptoms of Corneal Infections
- Reduction in visual clarity
- Corneal discharge
Causes of Corneal Infections
- Bacteria or fungi, sometimes from a contaminated contact lens
- Eye injuries
- Herpes simplex or herpes zoster (shingles) infections
Treatment for Corneal Infections
- Anti-bacterial eye drops
- Anti-fungal eyedrops or pills
- Anti-viral eyedrops or pills
- Steroid eye drops
Frequent visits to your eye doctor may be necessary for several months to eliminate the problem. If you are experiencing any eye pain or inflammation, contact us today to schedule an eye exam.
Locations in Boston – Waltham – Danvers